Re: IBM Thinkpad A30p - Opinions, Possible Problems etc?

Quoting Russell Coker on Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 08:14:24AM +0100:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001 01:47, aeleblanc@olgc.on.ca wrote:
> > I was originally looking at a toshiba Tecra 9000 for a new Laptop to fit
> > my budget of $5000 CAD.  I recently came across the IBM Thinkpad A30p
> > which i can squeeze into the budget as well.  I'm favouring this over the
> > tecra now for a few reasons (133MHz Bus instead of 100, ATI Radeon 32 MB
> > instead of some other garbage, Video in/out as opposed to tv-out only etc
> > etc..)  Does anyone know of any problems running linux on this model or
> > have any opinions on IBM's w/ Linux as opposed to other Laptop
> > Manufacturers?
>
> I'm on my third Thinkpad now, so I've been quite happy with them.
>
> I currently use the T series (advertised as "portability without
> compromise").  The T series are powerful and have reasonable hardware built
> in, but are slightly reduced from desktop machines (can't have CD and floppy
> at the same time is one limitation).
>
> The A series (advertised as "desktop replacement") has all the hardware
> (including floppy and CD) but they haven't tried hard to make it light or
> portable.  On another list I'm on people are flaming Thinkpads because of the
> experience of carrying an A series around.
>
> If your laptop goes between your work and your home in your car then an A
> series will be great.
>
> If your laptop goes around the world, and goes to work with you by public
> transport then a T series is probably as big and heavy as you can tolerate.
>
> Also regarding the CD, getting a USB CD-ROM at work and one at home is one
> solution to the problem of having CD and floppy...
>
> Another thing to consider is having a power supply at home and one at work
> (PSUs are heavy).

I am using a T21 series after some time with a IBM Thinkpad 600e.  The
T21 has some very nice features and everything works with debian
unstable including sound; no big requirements for video, etc.  I have
done a lot of work with the A30p systems and overall I don't
particularly care for them.  The size seems rather odd to me and I think
the X or T series is much easier to be mobile with even with some of the
limitations noted above.

Overall the finest one I have used so far is the T21.  Memory and hard
disk are very easy to upgrade/replace.

In the T series, I have messed with the T20, 21, 22, 23 laptops.  In the
X series, I have messed with the X20 and X21 and X22.  In the A series,
most of them including the "21s" and "22s".

The A30p, ImO, has a weight issue and a size issue and I understand that
it provides a lot of functionality.  For me, the weight of a T21 and its
feature set provide just the right mix of power and mobility. If I
wanted something totally light, the X22 would be a choice.  However,
both the A30 and the X22 share the same video chipset.  I prefer a
system that I can get X working without downloading an entire CVS tree
of X; but I have done it probably 30 times or so with the recent IBM
laptops above.  When X 4.2 comes out, it should have support for the ATI
mobility radeon M6 chipsets; which will make the A30s a lot easier to
work with.

BTW, the T21s can be found at very reasonable costs.  Memory upgrades
are not prohibitive.  I went from 128 to 256 for only $60.

--
Michael Perry | "Do or do not; there is no try" Master Yoda
mperry@lnxpowered.org | http://www.lnxpowered.org