Re: thinkpad no video on boot

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Serge Rey wrote:

> i've been running into an intermittent problem on my thinkpad x20. on
> some cold boots i don't see the bios message or any boot message. the
> screen is backlight, there is just no text on the console. there is
> obviously disk activity, however, so i've waited till that stops to
> carefully (and blindly) enter my shutdown -r sequence. on the second
> boot i get the normal bios message and see all the boot messages.
>
> i'm wondering if anyone has run into something like this before, or
> could suggest things (lilo settings?) to look at that might address
> this.

What lilo settings have you currently got?

> fwiw, this is for woody upgraded from potato on a fresh hard drive (no
> other os was previously installed).

Stock or custom kernel?

> i'm booting into the console, not using xdm so X isn't a factor.

Normal or fb console?
Have you got the H/V expand option in the bios turned on or off?
What about screen-blanking options?

The only thing like it that springs to mind is that you might be using the
fb console and it isn't working, but in my experience that isn't an inter-
mittent thing...

--
There's an old proverb that says just about whatever you want it to.