Debian installation problems on IBM T23

When I try to install debian on my IBM T23 it freezes while running the default kernel after/during writing this to the screen: "md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8" I have NO idea why, and I'd actually be satisfied if I could circomvent it with a boot-parameter. This happens on both potato 2.2_rev3 and the new woody-iso. I've also tried a 2.1-iso but that one merely rebooted my machine.

Oddly enough there are no problems if I try with mandrake, which I have been forced to install. I install mandrake and then move an installed version of debian from another laptop (i1300) and in that way replace mandrake. I don't like this solution since this seems to create some problems. I have been unable to find any resembling case but I have tried on a similar machine which had the same result. :(

It's a 1.1Ghz PIII...

// Mark Gjøl