Re: testing installation - problems with PCMCIA network Card

> From: "Renchi Raju" <renchi@h.tam.uiuc.edu>
>
> > the fact that you have to do a pcmcia start eth0 is surprising. you
might
> > have a corrupted script file. you can try purging the current pcmcia-cs
> and
hmmm - a whole bunch of corrupted stuff :-(

I reinstalled pcmcia-cs and pcmcia-source, turned PCMCIA off in the kernel,
recompiled the kernel, tried to recompile pcmcia-source, and it failed first
on errors in 'wireless', so I just got rid of that, then on 'no target for
install'.  At which point I decided it wasn't worth the headache since I
_know_ pcmcia works, I just needed to get it to execute.

So seeing that syslog shows,  first, modprobe errors for 8390, pcnet_cs and
serial_cs, and follows immediately with a kernel message saying "NE2000
compatible found", then a debug message from "hotplug" showing that ifup
didn't do anything, I went into /etc/network/interfaces, added an "iface
eth0" and "pre-up /etc/pcmcia/network start eth0" and it works perfectly.
This is proof of clean living :-) because I really had no good reason to
install hotplug in the first place.

I did have to fix the buggy line in the latest unstable pcmcia-cs which made
it impossible for /etc/pcmcia/network to ever do anything.

The end result is that I'm still using pcmcia compiled into the kernel & I
might just go back to an earlier more stable pcmcia-cs...and I'm still not
sure whether I've done this right - but getting it in the ifup process seems
a lot better than boot time.
--
derek