Re: testing installation - problems with PCMCIA network Card

From: "Renchi Raju" <renchi@h.tam.uiuc.edu>

> the fact that you have to do a pcmcia start eth0 is surprising. you might
> have a corrupted script file. you can try purging the current pcmcia-cs
and
> /etc/pcmcia/config and then loads up the corresponding driver for it. It
> also recognizes the class of the card and so in your case should bind the
> card to the class network and so eth0. the /etc/init.d/pcmcia script
should
> call the network script automatically which is /etc/pcmcia/network. but in
> your case it seems that the class of the card is not recognized and so you
> have to force it to recognize it as eth0. try looking at the messages (i

Ah, bells begin to ring.  It's an old, but still useful, dual function card.
I know I've seen specific mention about dual-function problems.  I suspect
the unused modem function is interfering with auto-recognition.

Also, there's the issue of having compiled in PCMCIA support when I built
the kernel.  Seems like everything I've come across since says I shouldn't
do that, so I think I'll run a recompile today, reinstall pcmcia-cs, and see
if things improve.

Thanks.
--
Derek