Re: Random crashes with testing on IBM T22

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 01:31:36AM +0200, Martin Skøtt wrote:
> Hi
> I got Debian testing running on my Thinkpad T22 a couple of months ago thanks
> to this list and it has been working almost like a charm ever since :-)
> The problem is that I am experiencing random lockups of the machine. The
> machine blocks completely and the only thing I can do is to turn it off. There
> is absolutely no response from the keyboard (the caps lock LED doensn't even
> work!). Am I the only one experiencing this? It doesn't matter which app I'm
> using at the time[1].
>
> I'm using a custom 2.4.5 kernel with SGI XFS patched in. A journalised FS is
> really nice on a machine that crashes every now and then :-)
>
> [1]It happens most of the time in Mozilla or StarOffice, but that is where I
> do most of my work.

If the T22 uses the same S3 Chip (Savage-MX) this is a problem in the
XFree Driver present at least up to 4.0.3 (Running 4.1 for a couple of
days and havent had it again)

StarOffice does trigger it reliably in the installer. You can at least
fix the StarOffice stuff by setting the Environment var

export SAL_DO_NOT_USE_INVERT50=true

into your .bashrc

Flo
Nine nineth on september the 9th              Welcome to the new billenium