Re: Getting Grub to Recognize Kernel Update to 2.4.12

> Here is my steps for install (btw, who ever maintains the GRUB docs,
> I think I might be willing to write a first draft install guide):
>
> Partitions:
> /dev/hda1 - /boot
> /dev/hda2 - /root
>
> * grub-install /dev/hda
> It warns me it can't find /dev/hda, but it creates a
> /boot/grub/devices.map.

I ran "grub-install /dev/hda" and got this ...

(fd0)  /dev/fd0
(hd0) /dev/hda

> Checking this, I see it's using the long devfsd path.  So I change
> (hd0) to read:
> (hd0) /dev/hda
> * grub-install /dev/hda
> Runs okay...copies files over, etc.
> * update-grub
> It creates a blank version of the menu.lst file in /boot/grub
> So I edit it changing the following:
> #kopt=root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=ext

Aren't these commented-out?  How can they change anything?

BTW:  What does "vga=ext" do, please?

> and I change:
> #groot=(hd0,0)

This was already set that way.

> * I re run update-grub

OK.

> To make sure dpkg -i kernel-image* correctly runs grub instead of
> lilo I have the following in /etc/kernel-img.conf:
> postrm_hook = /sbin/update-grub
> postinst_hook = /sbin/update-grub

I don't where to place these in that file.

> # These turn off the bootloader (lilo) prompts and the boot floppy
> # prompts
> do_bootloader = no
> do_bootfloppy = no

Nor do I know where to place these.