Re: Random crashes with testing on IBM T22

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001 15:05, James Martinez wrote:
> Usually if you return a computer desktop or laptop to the manufacture for
> repair they have their own diagnostic programs that they run to test it. So
> it shouldn't matter what you are running on the hard drive. They will more
> than likely plug their own hard drive in to run tests or use a bootable
> floppy.

I second that.

My experience with Thinkpad service (in the Netherlands) has been that they
give warrantee support based on model date without asking for papers (which
is good if you don't have them or bought second hand).  The warrantee service
is good and has the benefit that they only replace sub-systems (not
componants).  So when I had a trackpoint break I got an entire new keyboard
for free.

I would never return a machine with a hard drive installed.  IBM service in
the Netherlands stands out by not even asking a question about the hole where
the hard drive used to be.

While I have had good experiences with IBM repairs I would not trust them in
the following ways:
1)  To have all 100% trustworthy employees who would not try to steal data.
2)  To not accidentally wipe a hard drive as part of a test.
3)  To not have stupid employees who consider "no windows == broken" and
install windows over Linux machines as part of the service.

Besides, if you give a machine for service and they lose or damage it while
servicing, then if you have no hard drive installed you have nothing to lose
- you may even get a better machine in replacement!

When returning a hard drive for warantee repair then if possible write over
all it's data twice with different contents.  Of course this is problemattic
for IDE/SCSI drives as they tend to re-map all bad sectors and make the drive
appear perfect after such treatment.  :(