Re: kernel panic

Glen Mehn wrote:

did you try woody boot-floppies? I've had trouble installing with them, but they seem to boot OK...

On Wed, Oct 17, 2001 at 07:10:50PM -0400, Tom Allison wrote:

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 13:20, Glen S Mehn spewed forth:

Tom:

did you use make-kpkg to install your kernel?

you should be able to fix it, if you know your way around kernels (and
assuming you didn't overwrite your old kernel!) by booting with the rescue
disk-- the rescue.bin and root.bin that you used to install.

boot, at the boot prompt type 'linux rescue' (no quotes, and not this
parentheticalnote)

rm /vmlinuz
ln -s /voot/vmlinuz-whatever-your-old-linux-kernel-is /vmlinuz
check your /etc/lilo.conf
run lilo
pray

LILO wouldn't install from the rescue.bin/root.bin disks as the libgc was different from potato (floppy) to woody (hard-drive).

I'm able to boot my notebook again, but there are a ton of pcmcia module errors. For example: if I run depmod -a I get
depmod *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.9/pcmcia/ray_cs.o
also, orinoco_cs.o, netwave_cs.o, airo_cs.o, hermes.o, wvlan_cs.o.... and so on.

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do at this point, other than leave it alone since it's after 10:00PM...

I was able to create a new bzImage file on my other Linux PC and use mkroot to install it as a floppy. Used that floppy to boot the Notebook with a version 2.4.9 kernel and do a complete rebuild of the kernel using make-kpkg...
But there are many loose ends to sort out here.