From: Tom Allison [mailto:tallison1@twmi.rr.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2001 03:02 AM
To: Bjorn Eriksson
Cc: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: kernel panic

On Wednesday 17 October 2001 04:29, Bjorn Eriksson spewed forth:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Mariusz Zielinski wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 October 2001 03:40, Tom Allison wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > That's when things started getting weird.
> > > I think I also changed the kernel to include devfs & ide-cd (IDE-ATAPI
> > > support for my CDROM drive).
> >
> > I think the problem is devfs. It changes naming of the devices and
> > /dev/hda6 isn't /dev/hda6 anymore. Try booting kernel without
> > devfs.
>
>  Using kernel parameter devfs=nomount
>
>  Next time, keep your old kernel around for backup! HTH.

Thanks!  I tried reading up on this devfs thing and found something that got
me a little closer:
LILO: linux root=/dev/ide/part5
resulted in:
VFS: mounted root (cramfs filesystem)
Waiting for 5 sseconds, press ENTER to obtain a shell
modprobe: Can't locate module ext2 <<I know this is *BAD*>>
Kernel panic:  I have no root and I want to scream

I love the kernel messaging!  But not the message.
I suppose at this point I have to figure out what happened to my modules, or
what my kernel thinks I did with my modules.
Question:  In order for this kernel to compile, I had to remove the
modversions portion (keep track of modules by kernel version) which I've
never seen before.
Where is is trying to find the modules?
/lib/modules/ instead of /lib/modules/2.4.9/ ?