Re: kernel panic

Umm, so you are using potato, and kernel 2.4.9? Well, especially if you
use a modular kernel, this is a problem, you need to have modutils from
woody or sid, they support 2.4.x kernels. If you can boot to your system
using your installation CD, as I suppose you can, just install a new
modutils package from woody or sid, and maybe modconf too if you use that,
and see if that helps.

Regards,
- Teppo