Re: Re[2]: Advice needed

Søren Neigaard <neigaard@e-box.dk> writes:

> Wednesday, October 10, 2001, 6:50:51 PM, Russell wrote:
>
> RS> I can tell you for a fact that since I tried Ximian, I've had nothing
> RS> but trouble with version issues and package mismatches.  Getting rid of
> RS> it is quite challenging too.
> Ok so I should go for Gnome then? What does Debian ships with, I got a
> strange desktop with a icon in my top left corner, and 3 in my top
> right corner?

Ximian (as far as I know) is GNOME (perhaps with a few extra bits and
configuration).  They build GNOME and provide packages to people.
However, the people that maintain the official Debian GNOME packages
in unstable keep them pretty current, so if you're happy living with
unstable (and it can be exciting sometimes), then just use the
official packages.  You won't be missing out on much---I don't think
there's that much special in Ximian's packages.

> What is my next step then? I want a good clean useful desktop, which
> is easy to maintain and update, is there such one?

KDE2, GNOME (both available in Debian unstable).

> I have just installed Potato, what is the next step? Should I upgrade
> the hole system, or just bits?

Ah.  Up to you, really.  Decide whether you want to stick with stable
(and there's nothing wrong with that---it'll generally be safer), or
move to testing or unstable.

> And most important, how do I upgrade the system, and install Gnome?

You edit /etc/apt/sources.list, to include sources which contain the
desired distributions (whether you want stable, testing, or unstable).
Then you use "apt-get update", and "apt-get dist-upgrade".

I'm not quite sure how you install GNOME easily.  You could try
"apt-get install task-gnome-desktop" and see what happens.  It may not
work, though---I think something has replaced task packages, but I
don't remember what.  You may need to specify the packages
individually, in which case you'll want these (together with your
choice of window manager):

       gnome-applets gnome-core gnome-panel gnome-media gnome-help
       gnome-control-center gnome-bin

Probably you'll want one of gmc or nautilus (they're both file manager
programs---they provide the background with icons and things).
Nautilus is nice, but it's resource-hungry.  Unless your laptop has
lots of memory, I'd recommend using gmc rather than nautilus (or don't
use either, if you want---I don't use a file manager much).

"apt-get install evolution" should install evolution.

[...]

--
Bruce Stephens			Bruce.Stephens@MessagingDirect.com
ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect	<URL:http://www.MessagingDirect.com/>