Re: advice take two (but laptop specific)

I forgot to mention that from a laptop user's point of view, the windowmaker
dock has a huge number of "system watcher" style applets made for it.  Dialers,
battery monitors, cppu load checks are all the rage.  There are some others
too, eg CD player gadgets.

Many of such "dock apps" can be run without windowmaker happily, and have a
small size - in bits as well as screen estate.  So if you have a Desktop
need, but not enough memory in an already full laptop for the big Desktops,
you can certainly make do with those.

fvwm has an ability for a button panel which can also serve, and as my Magio
has a 9" screen, I do find that handy.    But whichever one you pick, you
will do yourself a big favor if you install the package named 'menu' as
it will have debian automatically make the menus keep up with your installed
package list.

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...