From: TEETER,VINCE (HP-USA,ex1) [mailto:vince_teeter@hp.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 06:29 AM
To: 'debian-laptop@lists.debian.org'
Subject: RE: What to choose

It would also be cool to have better general, high-level doc about Debian.
There is no shortage of details, but I still have no concept of what the
various pieces are.  Please don't say to read all that highly detailed and
often repetative doc.  This would be like saying you need to read the
complete jacket before playing a CD.

I can load my old Stormix easily, I can even create .iso disks from the web,
but I cannot seem to get Debian installed using them, and haven't a clue as
to how to update the system (like install a 2.4 kernel).  Also the various
instructions to check which mirror sites support whatever, are very
difficult for me and probably most first timers.  You need one site to get
this and one to get that just to have something to install, and eventually
you are TADL (totally ass damn lost).

Since I am a second level HP O/S and language support engineer who also
supports several Red Hat machines so I cannot imagine how imposing Debian
must be for some poor Windose guy.  I'm still trying to determine whether
Debian desires to be exclusive or inclusive, because frankly, I don't have
time for all that minutae.

So if someone wants to attempt to make Debian available to us who are not
insiders, familiar with all the intimacies of the package, then we
specifically need -

Easy (you know, clear, simple, and SHORT!) instructions for getting and
installing an initial load of Debian.

Instructions for finding, installing, and testing device drivers.  (This is
the only thing that should possibly be difficult.)

Easy instructions for updating and modifying Debian.

In the mean time, I'll keep watching for progress and also waiting.

Vince
vince_teeter@hp.com