Dell Latitude C800 & PCMCIA-CS -- locks hard?

Hello All,

	Trying to get an install of Potato going on a Dell Latitude
C800, but the PC Card Services doesn't seem to want to play.  The
system locks hard immediately after /etc/init.d/pcmcia is started.
Most of the time the laptop will actually power down shortly after the
lockup, sometimes it doesn't (and just stays on ... and locked).  I've
disabled whatever meager power management options that were available
in the BIOS, nothing's changed.
	The card I'm trying to get up and running happens to be my
NIC, a 3COM FE575 (10/100) - it's the only card in there, and actually
the box will lock up whether or not the card's in there at the time
the pcmcia init scripts start up.

	So here's the odd thing - The initial base system install on
this machine was done over the network, using this same card.  I boot
off my potato CD, configure the PCMCIA controller (accept all the
defaults), and proceeded to do a network install of the base system.
Everything runs fine until the first reboot, and this is where the
PCMCIA stuff now hangs the box.  This begs the question - what exactly
is it doing different now in the startup script, that it didn't do
during the initial installation?  Has anyone run into this problem,
and perhaps more importantly, has anyone found a solution to this
problem?