Sound on Dell Latitude LS

I've "borrowed" a Dell Latitude LS from work to play with. Everything
works fine except sound. The sound chip is a NeoMagic 256AV. The
module in the 2.2.19 kernel locks the machine hard when
loaded. According to the Net, this is a well-known problem.

My question is: has anyone solved this? Perhaps in the 2.4 kernel?

Non-free OSS works great, but I don't feel like paying for sound on a
machine that may be taken back any day...

tia.

/g.

--
Gustaf Erikson -+- +46 70 444 0726 -+- [http://stureby.net/]