Re: Sound on Dell Latitude LS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gustaf Erikson" <gustafe@home.se>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 7:43 AM
Subject: Sound on Dell Latitude LS

> I've "borrowed" a Dell Latitude LS from work to play with. Everything
> works fine except sound. The sound chip is a NeoMagic 256AV. The
> module in the 2.2.19 kernel locks the machine hard when
> loaded. According to the Net, this is a well-known problem.
>
> My question is: has anyone solved this? Perhaps in the 2.4 kernel?

I have an older Neomagic chip (CS 423x) on my HP Omnibook 4100 that has the
same problem. I've tried Potato, Woody, RH 6.2-7.1, and Mandrake 7.1-8.1...
every module/config combo that I can think of to no avail. Fortunately, I
don't use the laptop as a multimedia station, so it's not been a huge deal.
I can live with functionality vs. pretty noise. On 2 occasions, I've
successfully gotten the module to load (RH 7.1 and Drake 8.1) but as soon as
a wav or something else presents itself, the machine locks up tight...no
keyboard, no mouse, no nada.

...Dave