Re: boot images for Inspiron 2500

I had roughly the same problem with my thinkpad i1200.  Here's the
work-around I used.  First, I set the bios to boot from the CDROM.
Then, I booted the recovery CD that came with the thinkpad, and
escaped to a DOS prompt using one of the F-keys.  From the DOS prompt,
I ran the batch program boot.bat under /install on the Debian CD,
which boots linux and fires you into a normal install.  Any method
that will get you a DOS prompt and a working CD drive ought to do the
trick.

I've heard a couple of theories as to why the Debian CD's won't boot
on some laptops.  The one that seems to fit goes something like this:
laptop bios's and laptop CDROMs can only boot a 1.4 MB or smaller boot
image, and the boot image on the Debian CD is larger than this.  But I
don't know if this is true.  Good luck.

--
Mark R. Barnes, AICP
beautiful, sunny, downtown Astoria, OR  97103