RE: KDE - "initializing peripherals..."

On 26-Sep-2001 marc.miller@amd.com wrote:
> After much work, I've discovered that xserver-xfree86 simply doesn't work on
> my Compaq Presario 1250.  It stops right when it says "initializing
> peripherals."  I suspect KDE simply doesn't work with this touchpad using
> that xserver.  I'm hoping if I downgrade X to v3 it will all be okay.  Has
> anyone had any success with xserver-xfree86 (v4)?

xserver-xfree86 is the xserver for xfree v4.  Before that there were
xserver-<vidcard> packages.

According to a web search, you have a NeoMagic 128ZV+ vid card.  Looking
through a quick google search I could see no sign of other people having
problems.

Perhaps you should try loading into X without KDE (just use a window manager).
If X works then you can narrow down the search.  If you still have problems the
problems lie in X, not KDE.