Re: How to mail (userfriendly)?

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 08:25:22AM -0700, Mark Barnes wrote:
> Try mutt plus mutt's pop options to get your mail (assuming your
> isp supports pop) plus ssmtp to forward mail back to your isp.  This
> works for me, and is very light-weight.  None of these worked
> out-of-the-box, but configuration was not too difficult -- perhaps an
> hour of reading the relevent /usr/doc files and man pages, and fifteen
> minutes of editing the configuration files.  Good luck.
>
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 12:35:56PM +0200, Schoppitsch Dieter wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > It's horrible - I can't install Mail Services on my Laptop.
> >
> > I am a single user and have an Email-Account at my ISP.
> > All I want is to dial in to my ISP and put mails from my laptop to
> > this mail account and fetch mails from this account to the laptop
> > (and read and answer offline).
> > As my laptop is very old (486) and I am not that expert in setting up
> > I search for small (no X) and simple solution (out of the box).
> >
> > The last thing I tried was a mutt/masqmail/fetchmail-combination
> > without setup-success.

That's not too clear. smtpd is not any specific program, but several
can be used to provide the service. These is what I would use, and I
have used in my 486 50MHz laptop:

* mutt as mailer (Mail User Agent)
* fetchmail, to get mail from mail server(s)
* exim (Debian's default) as Mail Tramsfer Agent (MTA). (This is what
* provides smtpd)

As for configuring these programs, this is what I recommend:

* exim, just use debconf. This will be kicked in when you install exim
  using the usal Debian tools.

* fetchmail. I use fetchmailconf, a
  simple graphical UI for creating .fetchamilrc files, but it requires
  X. If you get any .fetchmailrc file, it's very easy to change it to
  suit simple cases. I only configure it for specific users (usually just
  me), not as a system wide daemon.

If you want to add mail filtering, etc I'd suggest
procmail. Procmail's configuration is not easy, but there are lots of
.procmailrc files from people out there, you can use as a template for
your own.

--
Ignasi.