Re: wooky->potato

The key to making sense of it is:
	update
		updates the list of availables

	either flavor of upgrade
		selects and then tries to load the packages which
		relate to ones you already have, that have new versions

	dist-upgrade
		grants APT authority to break things, in order to fix things.
		Which can be creepy if interrupted badly, but for some kinds
		of problems, are the only way to fix them.

That's why what I usually do (for a system that's been in real use) is
carefully and deliberately install "the libc stuff" and perl by theirselves,
and then let it dist-upgrade, now that I'm confident the core that makes
debian should be okay.

And yes, I've encountered having to do it more than once too.  Someone who
kept details may want to file a bug report on the ordering mechanism applied
by dist-upgrade.

> I had to change my sources.list file to say "woody".  After
> this I ran apt-get update, then apt-get dist-upgrade.  All
> ran well after this.
>
> wayne

'Twas written:

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...