IrDA....

OK, I probably did some "bad things" here.
But this is what I've done...

1) dselect -> purge -> irda-common, irda-utils
2) rm /dev/ir* (removed all these various irda related device references)
3) dselect -> install -> irda-common, irda-utils

(left the configuration file /etc/irda.conf alone, it looked about right)

4) ran 'dpkg-reconfigure irda-common' and did not edit the /etc/irda.conf file.

5) ln -s /dev/ircomm0 /dev/pilot  (references)
http://homepage.mac.com/pauljlucas/personal/powerbook/irda.html#modem
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Infrared-HOWTO/infrared-howto-s-palm-connection.html

But I can not get any modules loaded according to lsmod...

syslog keeps dumping irattach: tcsetattr: Input/output error
I'm seriously bummed on this one. I had it working a few weeks ago just fine. But my old notes for setting up jpilot don't work at all anymore. I'm a little lost on this.
Since I have nothing, I will try anything.

BTW:  I have an IBM A21m and a Palm Pilot V