Re: Sony VAIO Z600TEK harddrive to hot under heavy CPU load?

Hi

I've actually fried a hard drive in a Toshiba in nearly the same circumstance as you mention progressive mistakes when hot cold fsck's then death. Toshiba laptop fan's are software driven and not hardware driven like Compaq Armanda's. So under Linux the fan never comes on as it does in windoze.

So now I run fan -n on the Toshiba to keep it cool under load but mostly making sure it's well ventilated works.

The issue is ensure that the Sony has hardware driven fans. If not find (or write) the fan utility (if there is no fan then find one for your desk setup.).

Regards John