Re: Effective Boot Procedure

Sven Niedner <niedner@physik.uni-kiel.de> writes:

> On Tuesday 04 September 2001 13:33, Schoppitsch Dieter wrote:
> > So far I deleted most daemon-boot-scripts from /etc/rc2 and edit
> > /etc/inittab to set the runlevel at 2 (no daemons) or
> > 3 (with daemons) - than I have to reboot.
>
> This is already the way to go.
>
> You can pass the initlevel to the kernel at boot time; I am not shure
> how this is done, the only thing I know by heart is that the parameter
> single boots into single user mode (and maybe you can "abuse" this for
> you minimal configuration -- no daemons, no anything).

Use something like the following in your /etc/lilo.conf

  image=/boot/linux
          label=daemons
          read-only
          append=3

  image=/boot/linux-small
          label=no-daemons
          read-only
          append=2

And choose whatever you need when booting.  If you want to change run
levels without rebooting, become root and `init 2` to switch all your
daemons off or `init 3` to switch 'em on.  You do *not* have to change
/etc/inittab

Just for fun, I've installed xdm, gdm (recompiled to work around xdm
and kdm conflicts) and kdm and I boot to the console or one of these
in a way similar to that described above.  In /etc/rc2.d I moved the
S99?dm symlinks to K01?dm so that whatever login manager is running
gets summarily killed when I `init 2`.  In /etc/rc3.d I left S99xdm
and moved the other two to K01[gk]dm.  The other run levels, 4 and 5,
are analogous.  Whenever you move symlinks from S to K (or the other
way around) just make sure that the numbers add up to 100.  Then they
will be executed in the correct order.

The only possible PITA is that upgrading may stick one of the symlinks
you moved/deleted back in.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development