PCMCIA / NIC /Cable on Inspiron 8000

Please excuse me if there are stupid questions and associations here - I'm fairly new to this stuff.

I'm trying to get Rogers@Home Internet access working on an Inspiron 8000. In order to do so, I think I have to complete 3 separate steps:

1. Get PCMCIA working
2. Get the D-Link DFE-650 NIC working
3. Configure DHCPcd (PUMP will also work, as I understand it)

This system is known to hang on PCMCIA with the default Potato (or Woody, or Red Hat, for that matter) installation (I'm doing a minimal Potato install). To get around this, I added a boot parameter:

PCMCIA=no

Once the system was up I edited /etc/pcmcia/config.opts, changing the line:

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0x800-0x8ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

to read

include port 0x100-0x4ff, port 0xc00-0xcff

(i.e., taking out "port 0x800-0x8ff"), then I took "PCMCIA=no" out of lilo.conf, ran lilo, and rebooted.

The system no longer hangs, I get a beep when the PCMCIA lines go by during boot, and the "10/100" light on the dongle (the ethernet to PCMCIA adapter thingy) lights up. "dmesg" reveals:

eth0: NE2000 (DL10022 rev 30): io 0x300, irq 3, hw_addr 00:50:BA:7A:67:24

and eth0 shows up (with no errors) when I do "cat /proc/net/dev"

However, eth0 does not show up when I do "ifconfig" or "cat /proc/interrupts," and "ifup eth0" gives "Ignoring unknown interface eth0."

When I do "pump -i eth0" the system works away for a few seconds, then gives me "eth0 interrupt stopped from card" (once or twice), then "Operation failed" - before the operation fails, however, I see the "Send" light flash a couple of times on the Terayon Cable Modem that interfaces between the Coax cable and the ethernet cable.

I'm sure that there is documentation somewhere that would help me figure out what's going on, but I haven't been able to find it (or, rather, I probably have found it, but have failed to figure out how it applies to my situation).

I'm assuming that PCMCIA is working properly at this point, and that it's the card that's not right. Is this true? Or is PCMCIA not yet right? Or are both PCMCIA and the card fine, and do I have to configure the connection to Rogers@Home at this point?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated (I've been at this for nearly a week now).

Thanks and regards,

Noah