Re: turning off (LCD+) backlight without suspending

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001 14:15:27 PDT, Tony Godshall writes:
>Sure does.  Closed it to a tiny crack and its still on.
>Doesn't seem to be any such switch on the OB.  (On many
>machines closing the lid autmatically suspends it,

fwiw, my OB6k has a bios option for this kind of stuff.

>the backlight.  Yet!  But after I left the OB on a console
>for a while to write the other message about the showkey
>results I discovered that it does turn the backlight off
>when the console blanking code kicks in (is this a kernel
>feature)?  Cool.  Thanks Linus!  Thanks Heather!

man setterm, and see your kernel configs: CONFIG_APM_DISPLAY_BLANK
governs this behaviour.

>> If it has dpms features you might be able to convince X to put it in
>> that mode - however, running X may itself steal juice, can't say if that
>> would be a win.

at least the xfree86 server (3.3.6++) for
the mach rage something in my OB6k states "dpms: experimental" and
does nothing whatsoever to switch off the backlight.

regards
az

--
+ Alexander Zangerl + az@snafu.priv.at + www.snafu.priv.at