Re: batch browsing

Subject: batch browsing

> I browse the web like this:
>
> 1. Start with a list of topics
> 2. Open a google search for each topic and minimize the
> window (I don't want to sit and wait like a dummy) (BTW: I
> love surfraw but I have to figure out how to make it start
> konqueror minimized!)
> promising links in a minimized window.
>
> Effectively, my minimized window is my queue and I run a
> number of lines of inquiry at a time.
>
> What has this to do with laptops?  Well, I have more time to
> read when I'm on the bus on the way to work (I bicycle home
> but I feel bicycling to work would be rude to my coworkers
> since we don't have a shower at the office).
>
> The point is, I would like to have these interesting sites
> snarfed onto my laptop to read offline and then have the
> URLs for the interesting links queued up in some way.
> I suppose what I need is some kind of trigger from the web
> browser.  Maybe an offline web proxy replacement that just
> appends the URL to a file and then puts up a page that says
> "page request queued".  When I connect back to the web, it
> could stop the offline proxy and fire up squid or whatever
> normal proxy (or even reconfig the browser for no-proxy?)
> and run through the URL file doing a wget for each URL.
>
> So I guess my question is, does anyone know of some handy
> way to do offline "depth-first" style web browsing like I've
> described, and if not is this something others could use?
> And have I made the waters sufficiently muddy?
>
> --
> Tony

Well, I don't know about Debian or Linux, but for Windows systems I use a
program called Copernic 2001 (used it since it was called just Copernic,
back in '97), it searches from 1 to 40 or more sites for just about
everything you can think of, or want. You can limit the number of responses,
the total number of links, you can have it verify the links (no more 404
errors), and yuo can even browse the results in a web page, with
descriptions of what's on the linked page. You can then have IE or Netscape
download everything for offline viewing or browsing, in short order. I don't
know if there is a Linux version of this program, but this is what you want,
or something like it. If you have a Win partiton on your laptop, or to see
if they have a Linux version, here's the link: http://www.copernic.com . I
no longer do a 'net search without this...  beats going through 10 million
links and pages through Google, Lycos, or Yahoo...

MBN