Re: Mouse Problems

> the mouse thing is usually gpm for me... to test this, go to console as
root and execute '/etc/init.d/gpm stop', usually fixes the mouse controlling
problem in x... for a permanent fix either uninstall gpm or move the
/etc/rc2.d/S??gpm link to a subdirectory called /etc/rc2.d/disabled/.  there
is also a way to set gpm up to be used as a repeater, but i have never used
gpm much and didn't bother to figure it out...

> hope this works for you...

OK..  I know that gpm IS running, because when I was installing with
apt-get, it stopped for a second and asked for a couple of configuration
questions. I would actually like to have the best of both worlds (use the
mouse in console as well as in X), but I'll disable gpm if I have to. I'll
play with it later on, though... Dark Angel and Nova are both on right now,
and I LOVE PBS (USA)...  :-)

BTW, I can't seem to find this info in any of my manuals or help books...
can I edit a config file in console mode? If so, what editor do I use? I
have Debian set up pretty much the default way, with bash as the shell. I
know that vi doesn't work (tried it, had to open another virtual console to
shutdown the computer). Is there a basic editor I can use, and what is (are)
the command(s)?

Thanks for all the help, guys...  especially Nathan, Tony, Thomas, and
Vivek. It was all very informative, and useful!

MBN

listmaster@lists.debian.org