Re: installing on laptop

On Tue, Jul 03, 2001 at 10:35:39AM -0700, Heather wrote:
> > I am wondering how one would go about installing Debian on a laptop that has no cdrom or network card? Can I use a direct cable connection to my pc? If so what configurations do I need on the pc? Many thanks in advance.

> There is a HOWTO for using parallel "laplink" cords to do this:
> 	2. the "hard" way - take out the hard disk and prep it elsewhere

I did this myself.  You might as well take the opportunity
to upgrade the hard drive too tho.  20GB notebook drives are
down to < $120 (per http://www.pricewatch.com/1/101/3329-1.htm).
Plus add a bill or two for the adapter cable.  I got mine from
west-tech.com, installed it with an old P133 box that had been
in the closet, and then put it in the laptop, which booted it
just fine.  Had to use IBM's OnTrack diskette to do the
partioning... it loads a BIOS extension at boot that handles
the large partitions properly till lilo takes over.

YMMV!