Re: Partition table install problems.... HELP!?!

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, M. T. Burek wrote:

> Yes, of course I used a DOS boot disk to try to resore the partition
> table...  and I am fully aware of fdisk /mbr as well. I have a
> potato 2.2r3 set of disks, inculding a rescue disk, boot, drivers,
> (all 4 of 'em), and the base disks, too. I was using the plain
> vanilla diskset...  no compact, no UDMA66, no IDEPCI, no nothing...
>
> Since I last posted my call for help, I managed to get the partition
> table reformed (via DOS), and get my original, 400 MB DOS/Win 95
> partition reformatted...  and I have a VERY basic install of Win 95
> on there now, but no drivers, no extra software, no nothing. I
> suppose what I need to know is this: Since DOS/Win NEEDS a primary
> partition marked "bootable" in the partition table, and so does
> Debian, apparently, how can I get this thing installed then, since
> there can be only ONE "bootable" primary (or otherwise) partition on
> a given drive? Can I safely install Debian on a primary partition
> that is NOT marked "bootable" in the partition table, and have it
> still boot? I really don't wanna try to install this thing again
> until I know EXACTLY what I need to do first...
>
> Any ideas??

Hi.

Where did you find that all 3 partitions have to be marked bootable?
This is the first time I see this. Actually you don't need to mark
anything bootable if you install lilo. Install lilo to hda (or
whatever your harddrive is), configure it and be happy. Also lilo is
the only way to get your dual-boot setup to work and you didn't
mention anything about this part of the setup.

Again, you can safely install Linux on any partition, this bootable
mark does not make any difference.

Good luck,
Peter.