Re: Partition table install problems.... HELP!?!

> michaelb@buyingbrain.com wrote:
>
> > I tried re-partitioning with DOS's FDISK, reformatted,
> > everything... still get "Invalid Partition Table". I
> > am now at a loss... all of the documentation says
> > that both the DOS and Debian partitions (all three
> > are primary, including the swap) must be flagged
> > "bootable". I know this from experience as well.. DOS
> > won't boot unless the partition is bootable.  So, what
> > in the hell can I do? Debian is hosed, Win 95 is hosed,
> > and 16 hours worth of work is down the drain...
> >
> > If ANYONE has an answer, as well as a solution, PLEASE
> > let me know! I need something ASAP...
>
> How are you running DOS' FDISK if it won't boot?  If
> from a DOS floppy, then I would reccommend you make
> a Debian rescue disk on a working system, boot from
> that, and after getting past configuring the keyboard,
> select the subshell option and run fdisk or cfdisk
> from there.
>
> Also, did you try the undocumented -MBR option of DOS
> FDISK to restore the Master Boot Record?
>
> Good luck--maybe someone else has some ideas...

Yes, of course I used a DOS boot disk to try to resore the partition
table...  and I am fully aware of fdisk /mbr as well. I have a potato 2.2r3
set of disks, inculding a rescue disk, boot, drivers, (all 4 of 'em), and
the base disks, too. I was using the plain vanilla diskset...  no compact,
no UDMA66, no IDEPCI, no nothing...

Since I last posted my call for help, I managed to get the partition table
reformed (via DOS), and get my original, 400 MB DOS/Win 95 partition
reformatted...  and I have a VERY basic install of Win 95 on there now, but
no drivers, no extra software, no nothing. I suppose what I need to know is
this: Since DOS/Win NEEDS a primary partition marked "bootable" in the
partition table, and so does Debian, apparently, how can I get this thing
installed then, since there can be only ONE "bootable" primary (or
otherwise) partition on a given drive? Can I safely install Debian on a
primary partition that is NOT marked "bootable" in the partition table, and
have it still boot? I really don't wanna try to install this thing again
until I know EXACTLY what I need to do first...

Any ideas??