Re: moving to a new laptop

    >    The folks in my IS dept. at work use a program called Ghost
    > (I think its from Norton) to copy an entire partition, like an
    > image, from one HDD to another.  They use it for HDD upgrades
    > all the time.  I even moves the Partition table.  So uprading
    > from a 6GB HDD to a 12GB HDD, you'd end up with a 6GB partition
    > on the new drive.  Then you can go in and add more partitions
    > with the extra space or expand the one partition, or whatever.

    >    I don't know what other products like this that are avaiable,
    > or what cost might be associated with it, but maybe there's
    > something like it in Debian or for Linux in general.

I haven't used partimage, but plan to try it the next time I have this
kind of problem to solve:

% apt-cache show partimage
Package: partimage
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 380
Maintainer: Sergio Rua <srua@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 0.3.6-1
Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.2.3-1), libcomerr2, libext2fs2, libnewt0, libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2, slang1 (>> 1.3.0-0), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.3)
Filename: pool/main/p/partimage/partimage_0.3.6-1_i386.deb
Size: 129610
MD5sum: 4c07a5a7eeaf0036be6685f3c28dc0c2
 Partition Image is a Linux/UNIX partition imaging utility: it saves partitions
 in the Ext2FS  (the linux standard), ReiserFS (a new journalized and powerful
 file system), NTFS (Windows NT File System)  or FAT16/32 (DOS & Windows file
 systems), file system formats to an image file. Only used blocks are copied.
 The image file can be compressed in the GZIP/BZIP2 formats to save disk space,
 and splitted into multiple files to be copied on amovibles floppies (ZIP for
 example), or burned on a CD-R ...
 This allows to save a full Linux/Windows system, with an only operation. When
 problems (viruses, crash, error, ...), you just have to restore, and after
 several minutes, all your system is restored (boot, files, ...), and fully
 working.
 This is very useful when installing the same software on many machines: just
 install one of them, create an image, and just restore the image on all other
 machines. Then, after the first one, each installation is automatically made,
 and only require a few minutes.

--
Kelsey Jordahl