Re: moving to a new laptop

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Jeff Coppock wrote:
>
> >    The folks in my IS dept. at work use a program called Ghost (I
> >    think its from Norton) to copy an entire partition, like an
> >    image, from one HDD to another.  They use it for HDD upgrades
> >    all the time.  I even moves the Partition table.  So uprading
>
> What, like 'dd' does?

Actually, Ghost or DriveImagePro (they are competitors) ... I *think*
that they actually go through the FAT cluster by cluster picking up the
bits.  Which trick enables them to drop images on drives with different
geometries, dodge bad disk space, etc.

What dump would be, if it had any brains, though it doesn't.

neither dd nor dump deal with partition table matters directly.  dd of
course can be used to suck up an mbr, or to split up the partition table
from the regular mbr code.

You can, definitely, dd up an image of a FAT filesystem.  You might be
smarter to use cpio or tar and make a real package out of it, but
unless you're using UMSDOS, you mostly care that the long filenames
are preserved.  ext2 have these permission thingies, and I don't think
cpio or tar both to preserve things like immutable or append-only bits,
so there's a possible reason for really imaging an ext2 filesystem.

  . | .   Heather Stern                  |         star@starshine.org
--->*<--- Starshine Technical Services - * - consulting@starshine.org
  ' | `   Sysadmin Support and Training  |        (800) 938-4078