Re: configurations, interfaces(5)

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Dave Morse wrote:
> What is the best way to manage "configurations" on a laptop?

Personally, I use `whereami' to do it. It's a package, which is nice,
though I don't know if it's anywhere but unstable.

> I.e. at home: through eth0/192.168.88.7, run NIS and NFS
> At Work: through eth0/192.168.1.1, run samba
> On the road: through modem, run nothing

I presume you have some way (DHCP, say) of detecting the location and
address already. If so, it's fairly easy to configure `whereami' to do
the right thing.

I can also help, if you wish, with the stuff that's needed.

It can then do the mount, unmount, etc work in a sensible framework.

> Does anyone have a more fleshed out example of interfaces(5) "mapping"
> concept?  The man page is mighty slim pickins.

The example scripts ship in /usr/share/doc/ipupdown/examples/ -- they
are the only other documentation I could find.

I don't use the ifupdown stuff, though, because it's just not /that/
great a way of doing the configuration.

        Daniel

--
No matter how hard you push and no matter what the priority, you can't
increase the speed of light.