Re: Laptop suggestions

jonne@sandnet.se (Jonne) writes:

> I have a very brief question. I'm not that familiar at all with
> Debian, I used it a while back, although not a lot, and I certainly
> qualify as a GNU/Linux neophyte. Enough with the introduction.
> Anyway, I've as of yet never used Debian on a laptop, and I'm
> looking into picking up laptop computer, and I'm wondering if you
> have any suggestions as to what I might want to pick up -- more
> along the lines of manufacturers whose computers work well with the
> latest version of Debian, rather than just the latest spiffy models,
> since I'm not sure what I can afford.

I have used Debian on a Thinkpad 570 and its replacement the Thinkpad
X20, both ultrathin models with no diskette drive, no CD drive or
extra stuff at all. The X20 is slightly lighter and has a smaller
screen, but keeps the resolution of 1024x768.

I like the integrated NIC (Intel EtherExpress Pro, I believe) on the
X20 and I believe that the modem on the X20 might be a real one, not a
WinModem. I haven't used it, so I don't really know or care anymore,
but my current dmesg (run under OpenBSD on the X20) says:

  "Xircom MiniPCI Modem" rev 0x00 at pci0 dev 10 function 1 not configured

--
Mikael "MC" Cardell <mc@hack.org>
Temple of the Moby Hack