PCMCIA configuration under 2.4.x

Hi Debian laptop users

Sorry to bother you with what I am sure will turn out to be a stupid mistake
on my part, but I have been unable to find any help in either the Debian
bug database or on the web.

I installed Debian just over 2 years ago on my laptop (a Dell Inspiron), and
with a little effort got everything working.  I have managed to configure
the PCMCIA network.opt script so that when I plug in my 3c575 network card
it re-configures the system for scheme (I use a number) and I can now access
the Web/Email/etc from which ever site I connect to.

My problem started when I switched to the new 2.4.x kernels.  I had already
read that the 3c575 card is now supported by the 3c59x kernel module.  So I
built that part of the kernel as a module, and place the following lines in
the /etc/pcmcia/config.opt file:

  device "3c59x"
    class "network" module "3c59x"

  card "3Com 3c575-TX Fast EtherLink XL"
    manfid 0x0101, 0x5057
    bind "3c59x"

  module "3c59x" opts "debug=3 rx_copybreak=300"

This works well up to a point.  When I insert the drive it loads the 3c59x
kernel module, and when I pull the card it takes it down okay.  The problem
seams to be that `cardmgr' is calling the network script with `3c59x' rather
than `eth0' (which is what I found it did under 2.2.x).  I have extracted
the appropriate bit from my log files.

  cardmgr[212]: initializing socket 0
  cardmgr[212]: socket 0: 3Com 3c575-TX Fast EtherLink XL
  cardmgr[212]: executing: 'modprobe 3c59x debug=3 rx_copybreak=300'
  cardmgr[212]: executing: './network start 3c59x'
  cardmgr[212]: + 3c59x: error fetching interface information: Device not found
  cardmgr[212]: + 3c59x: unknown interface: No such device
  cardmgr[212]: + SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
  cardmgr[212]: + 3c59x: unknown interface: No such device
  cardmgr[212]: + SIOCSIFNETMASK: No such device
  cardmgr[212]: + SIOCSIFBRDADDR: No such device
  cardmgr[212]: + 3c59x: unknown interface: No such device
  cardmgr[212]: + SIOCADDRT: No such device
  cardmgr[212]: + SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

Reading /etc/pcmcia/network I see that the second argument should be the
network interface name not the device name.  Why is cardmgr passing `3c59x'
to this script rather than `eth0'?  What have I missed?  If this is just an
RTFM or STFW please point me at the appropriate URL.

I know that this is the correct diver and that it works because I can configure
the network by hand.  I would like the PCMCIA subsystem to do it automatically.

Thanks loads for any help you can give

Steve
--
| (_| | (_) | |_) | (_) | (_) |  steve.dobson@krasnegar.demon.co.uk
GPG Fingerprint: A220 3448 3A7D 1B9E D5BC  983D BBB1 CEC3 443A EA81