Re: Unable to boot from hdd with recent lilo/mbr packages!!!

on Mon, May 28, 2001 at 03:50:53PM +0200, Olaf Stetzer (ostetzer@mail.uni-mainz.de) wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> Since 5 weeks after updating some packages from unstable (including
> lilo and mbr) I am no longer able to boot my laptop from hdd!! :-(
> After some investigations I found that lilo may be incompatible with
> SystemSonft Bioses and so I tried to use boot-compat.b instead of
> boot.b .
>
> I tried a lot of different settings in lilo.conf but without sucess....
> Just some additional infos that might help:
> The problem startet with lilo hanging after LIL-
> I then reran a newer version of lilo and then even this message
> disappeared, now only the bios message which asks for a system
> disk to be inserted is displayed. I even tried to run install-mbr
> with different options still without success!!!
>
> Heres is my lilo.conf and partition-table:
>
> boot=/dev/hda2
> root=/dev/hda4
> # This file was created automatically by liloconfig
> # Automatic creation, will do it every time
> # run dpkg-reconfigure lilo if you want to change the way this operates
> install=/boot/boot-compat.b
> delay=20
> map=/boot/map
> vga=normal
> lba32
> read-only
> image=/boot/vmlinuz
>     label=Linux
> other=/boot/vmlinuz.old
>     label=OLD-Linux
>

>                             Disk Drive: /dev/hda
>                              Size: 6007357440 bytes
>               Heads: 240   Sectors per Track: 63   Cylinders: 776
>
>     Name  Flags       Part Type  FS Type     [Label]    Size(MB)
>                               Unusable                                    7.75
>     hda1                   Primary   OS/2 hidden C: drive  286.44
>     hda2    Boot        Primary   Linux ext2                     7.75
>     hda3                   Primary   Linux swap                100.64
>     hda4                   Primary   Linux ext2                5604.81

Not sure if this matters or not.  I've found that marking /dev/hda as
bootable and installing lilo on this directly seems to work where
booting a marked-bootable partition doesn't.

There's also GRUB.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/