Re: Can't recover X on CPQ AMADA M700 (woody)

Hi Heather,

I believe this is a problem caused by the ATI graphics chip in the M700 -
it seems to cache the last view before it's shut down. One possible
solution is to flush the chip by restarting X with ctrl alt bksp - before
you snooze.

I run on an Armada 1750 which uses a slightly earlier version of the
Mobility chip. I've run other distros with Xfree 3.3.6 on the M700 without
any hitch so it may be a combination of chip, Xserver and Xfree version.

                    Heather
                    <star@betelgeuse.star        To:     Zheng You-Zhong <yccheng@stsl.siemens.com.tw>
                    shine.org>                   cc:     debian-laptop@lists.debian.org
                                                 Subject:     Re: Can't recover X on CPQ AMADA M700 (woody)
                    25/05/2001 09:38

> Hi debian laptopers,
>
> I use compaq armada m700 with debian woody.
> if I press the sleep button, the screen shuts off smoothly,
> but if I wake the system up, the screen is a mess.
>
> I have compiled kernel 2.4.2 with APM support, and I don't
> know what else to do.
>
> Yu-Chung

Try shutting down while at a text screen instead of a graphics screen?
A few models I've seen are timing sensitive on the return.  If this is
the problem you can patch a hack into the apm scripts to chvt to a known
text console and sleep during the recovery before putting you back.

If that doesn't work, use a kernel with framebuffer support active.  That
worked for me on a Savage MX/IX chipset.  Seems that the X server was not
quite bright enough to set things right, but the framebuffer consoles
would.
(This also solved a similar problem with switching between text and gui
consoles.)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...