Re: Can't recover X on CPQ AMADA M700 (woody)

> Hi debian laptopers,
>
> I use compaq armada m700 with debian woody.
> if I press the sleep button, the screen shuts off smoothly,
> but if I wake the system up, the screen is a mess.
>
> I have compiled kernel 2.4.2 with APM support, and I don't
> know what else to do.
>
> Yu-Chung

Try shutting down while at a text screen instead of a graphics screen?
A few models I've seen are timing sensitive on the return.  If this is
the problem you can patch a hack into the apm scripts to chvt to a known
text console and sleep during the recovery before putting you back.

If that doesn't work, use a kernel with framebuffer support active.  That
worked for me on a Savage MX/IX chipset.  Seems that the X server was not
quite bright enough to set things right, but the framebuffer consoles would.
(This also solved a similar problem with switching between text and gui
consoles.)

* Heather Stern * star@ many places...