Re: Woody /w PCMCIA-cs and Kernel 2.4.x

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Alex Suzuki wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I plan to buy a new Acer Notebook (Travelmate 525 TEV) with a
> 700 Mhz PIII and 256M Ram.
> I am currently running debian woody on my desktop pc and I love
> it, so I will also install Debian on the laptop. I am a bit
> confused about the pcmcia-cs package, could someone explain
> this to me? I think generic PCMCIA support has to be turned on
> in the kernel, but pcmcia-cs suggests pcmcia-modules-* packages,
> which are for specific 2.2.1x kernels. I want to use a 2.4 kernel,
> do I have to compile pcmcia-cs myself?

For the 2.4 kernel series, there are two sets of PCMCIA modules: the ones
from pcmcia-cs (in which the modules would end up in the pcmcia-modules-*
package), and the ones which are included in the kernel itself.  AFAIK the
pcmcia-cs modules support more cards than the kernel modules do.

I'm not sure if the kernel-image-2.4.* packages in unstable include pcmcia
support; I just compile my own kernels.  But if it is included, you won't
need any pcmcia-modules-* package.

Either way, whichever set of modules you choose, you'll need the pcmcia-cs
package, since this includes the support utilities, such as the card
manager, etc.  The pcmcia-cs package will work fine with whatever version
of the kernel you're using.

HTH

--
Hubert Chan