Problem with 2.4.4 and PCMCIA IDE (CF) (2.2.19 works)

Hi laptoppers,

I got myself a PCMCIA CompactFlash adaptor today.

But kernel 2.4.4 doesn't seem to want to handle it.

It tells me (non-relevant parts of syslog removed):

  cardmgr[195]: initializing socket 0
  cardmgr[195]: socket 0: ATA/IDE Fixed Disk
  cardmgr[195]: executing: 'modprobe ide_cs'
  cardmgr[195]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource temporarily unavailable

I'm using the kernel's PCMCIA modules.

May this message be relevant?

  cardmgr[195]: Card Services release does not match

(pcmcia-cs is 3.1.25-3, while the kernel is, well, a stock 2.4.4).

2.2.19 with pcmcia-modules installed (both compiled by me) works
perfectly.

Anyone have an idea what could be wrong?  I would be most interested
in things I can fix easily, of course... :-)

Would it make sense to move from kernel PCMCIA to stand-alone PCMCIA?
Would it help?

All other PCMCIA thingies I have here work with 2.4.4, BTW (two
different network cards and a V.90 modem).

Bye, J

PS: There was some problem I did fix already: I tried it right in the
shop (try before you buy... laptops are nice for this ;-).

Didn't work.  Though PCMCIA detected it alright, it couldn't load
ide_cs.  Reboot with 2.2.19 did work.  So I bought it.

Back home I probed around until I found that the kernel built ide_cs
as ide-cs.o (even though all other PCMCIA modules still bear their _).
[I also found info on this later when I ran the mentioned google
search].

Set an alias in modules.conf.  Inserted card.  Result above.  :-|

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard@gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard