Re: install on Toshiba 430CDT laptop

On Fri, May 18, 2001 at 05:52:29PM -0300, Edson Akio Maruyama wrote:
> At 12:57 16/05/01 -0700, you wrote:
> >I have a Toshiba 430CDT laptop, and I installed the
> >base system of Potato on the machine, which seemed to
>
> [diet quote]
>
> i?ve gotta had the net adapter "manually" configured...  through the
> following commands...
>
> ifconfig eth0 111.222.333.444 up netmask 255.255.255.0
> route add default gw 111.222.333.1 dev eth0
>
>   where, those funny numbers... 111.222.... are NOT real IPs... and then
> you should place in  your real numbers...  :)  right peter? :)))))

 yeah :)  Note that 111.222.333.444 is one IP address, not IPs (plural).
(Well, it would be an IP addr if 333 and 444 were less than 256 :)

> hey, ALL.. need some help on this...  i could make the net adapter work,
> BUT... i?ve gotta do this set up when i log on... how can i do this
> automatically? tried to save some "bash" file as executable... but  it
> didn?t quite work...  i dont know why.. but the "graphical" setup doesn?t
> quite work either... and it keeps telling me i?ve got no NIC... :((((

 Ok, what you need to do is find out what your IP address is, and configure
your network card for that.  You can put something in the pcmcia scripts to
configure the network when you insert the card.

 To find out your IP, either ask your admin, or run a DHCP client like pump.
(I think people were saying they were having problems sending/receiving
traffic after running pump, but that it still found an address for them.)
After running pump, run  ifconfig eth0, and note the information there.  You
need: the IP address, the netmask, and the broadcast address.  Run route.
Note the address of the default gateway.

 Once you have this, put
ifconfig eth0 111.222.333.444 up netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 111.222.333.255
route add default gw 111.222.333.1

 somewhere where it will run when you insert the network card.  (not sure
where that might be ...)

 (BTW, I think someone said that running  ifconfig eth0 up  after running
pump did something.  That might be totally bogus, though...  If it works,
it's a nicer solution, since it will work whatever IP you want to set. (Not
as nice as fixing the broken kernel driver, though.))

--
#define X(x,y) x##y