compiling pcmcia-source

I want to compile the pcmcia-source package. The documentation says the
kernel source must be configured (make config dep). It does not discribe a
way to build the modules without compiling a new kernel, but I don't want to
compile a kernel. I just want to compile the pcmcia modules for my
2.2.18pre21 kernel, because I need the latest pcmcia version (2.1.25-3), and
there's no modules package of this version for my kernel. I don't want to
compile a new kernel because it would break a lot of things.
What should I do? Can I just copy a .config file to the kernel source tree,
and where can I get the .config file that was used to build the
kernel-image-2.2.18pre21 for potato? And how about the .depend file?