Re: Ati Mobility Performance

On Sun, 13 May 2001, Vivek Dasmohapatra wrote:

> Ah, in this case you will probably have to do something similar to what I
> had to do for one of my machines that was supported by the dri.sourceforge
> branch: I installed the debian XFree86 woody package [just updated to
> 4.03, btw], then fetched the dri source, built and installed it over the
> top of the debian package - you may have to tweak a couple of install
> paths, but other than that, things seem to work out Ok. Also, I had to
> copy the kernel module from the dri source tree into the /lib/KVERSION
> tree by hand, and you should be aware that everytime you remake/reinstall
> the kernel, you'll have to copy the dri.sourceforge version of the kernel
> module back in [after rebuilding it against the new kernel]
>
> I can probably dig up the config changes I had to make to the dri tree to
> make it install more or less cleanly on top of the debian package, if you
> like.
That would be really great.  My son  detected TuxRacer as his most wanted
games at the "Braunschweiger Linux Days" :).  Now I want to offer him this
ability at least on the laptop, because our desktop has only K6/200 with
PCI bus and I'm not sure if it would be much fun to find a working PCI card
for this fairly old box.

Kind regards

         Andreas.