Re: Ati Mobility Performance

David Smock <d-smock@northwestern.edu> writes:

> I AM wonderign, however, if there is a way to boost the performance of
> my ATI Mobility-P 8mb video card under linux.  Has anyone been able to
> play DVDs with this card?

For reference, that's a Mach 64 derivative.  I believe that someone is
working on DRI support for that card, but it's not standard yet.  Dig
around http://dri.sourceforge.net for 3d acceleration.

I think you _can_ get Xv acceleration for playing DVDs.  Look up
http://www.linuxvideo.org, and follow the links to GATOS (which is
somewhere in there, but the site is down at the moment).  There's a
livid-ati list there too, which should have background on it.  Xv
allows your computer to accelerate the yuv->screen display, and
reduces CPU load and X hassle.

The card is _not_ R128 based, so ignore any advice for Mobility 128 or
Mobility M3 cards.

Sleep faster: we need the pillows.