Ati Mobility Performance

Hey all - I've been running woody on an Inspiron 5000 for almost 3/4 of
a year now, with X working fine, no major problems at all.

I AM wonderign, however, if there is a way to boost the performance of
my ATI Mobility-P 8mb video card under linux.  Has anyone been able to
play DVDs with this card?  I can only get 15 fps in a medium sized
window for DVD playback with xine, and as you can imagine, this makes
the movie too choppy to watch.

Some people have also indicated that it is possible to get some hardware
acceleration under linux with this card, and have run quake 3 on it.  I
can do this under windows and the perfomance is decent.

So is there anything I can do to accelerate my video card?  I'm running
all the lastest stuff for woody, with the default X configuration it
selected for me.

As I said before, everything else X related is fine.

Thanks,
David