Rage Mobility

Hello all,
	I have a IBM Laptop (A21P) with an ATI Mobility M3 (rev2, agp 2x, 16MB)
card, and I'm having trouble with X.  My mastery of X windows and vid card
config is pretty slim, so bear with me please.
	With the 3.3.6 ver package, when I first start X using the accelerated
server (xserver_xfree86?), the screen goes completely white and the machine
hard locks.  I compiled 4.0.2 myself, and now the machine doesn't hardlock,
but I do get what looks like a framebuffer issue (not really sure).  The
right 1/5th of my screen replicates the middle 1/5th of the screen, and
there's some garbled junk near the replicated area.
	Recently, I tried out Progeny, and I have the same issues with their ver 4
install.  Anyway, I can't get the Gnome control panel to switch my display
to the SVGA X server, and I don't remember what happened when I ran the SVGA
server under debian 2.2_rev2.  I'm willing to reinstall either distro at the
moment, but I'm pretty sure there is little difference.
	Anyhoo, any help you can give me is appreciated.  I'm anxious to wipe
windows clean from this laptop.  I don't know if there are tweaks I can
apply to X, or whatever, but I'll keep scouring mailing lists for the
moment.

Thanks,
Matt Reynolds