Re: hardware profiles?

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 09:30:11PM -0400, Matt Pepper wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I have a Dell laptop I am endeavoring to put Debian on however I have a
> query I'd like to get answered first. Does anyone know if there is a way of
> handling multiple hardware profiles in Debian similar to the concept within
> Windows? I ask because when I am at home I have the laptop docked which
> means not only the PCMCIA ethernet port is present but also an ethernet card
> within the port replicator is present. When I am at work only the PCMCIA
> ethernet port is available. Does anyone see any problem with this? Any way
> to handle the two configurations gracefully?
>
> Thanks in advance -
>
> Matt

I have a Inspiron 3700, and my docking station has a ethernet card in it.
I managed to make a bit of headway by adding this bit to the top of
/etc/init.d/network:
    if modprobe -q 3c59x
    then
        ifup eth0
    else
        echo Not docked! - docking station network not initialised
    fi

and let /etc/network/interfaces contain (amongst other things):
    # ----------------------------------------
    # Docking station networking
    iface eth0 inet dhcp
        hostname einstein
        leasetime 3600
        noauto
        up echo domain watersend > /etc/resolv.conf
        up echo search watersend >> /etc/resolv.conf
        up echo nameserver 192.168.240.6 >> /etc/resolv.conf

One of my other machines is providing DHCP service for the network, but you
might as well used fixed IP addresses I guess.. (I just wanted to play
a bit with DHCP, and haven't bothered to change back).

Unfortunately this only works if i REBOOT (shock, horror) when docking.

Does anybody out there have any ideas of how I can maintain my up-time and
*still* dock/undock to my hearts content?
--
Karl E. Jørgensen
karl@jorgensen.com