hardware profiles?

Hi -

I have a Dell laptop I am endeavoring to put Debian on however I have a
query I'd like to get answered first. Does anyone know if there is a way of
handling multiple hardware profiles in Debian similar to the concept within
Windows? I ask because when I am at home I have the laptop docked which
means not only the PCMCIA ethernet port is present but also an ethernet card
within the port replicator is present. When I am at work only the PCMCIA
ethernet port is available. Does anyone see any problem with this? Any way
to handle the two configurations gracefully?

Thanks in advance -

Matt