Re: Thinkpad video and digital camera issues

Jim Richardson <warlock@eskimo.com> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 03:30:35AM -0700, William R. Ward wrote:
> > Also, I bought an Olympus Camedia D-360L digital camera.  I want to
> > upload images into the Thinkpad.  There are two ways: RS-232 or
> > SmartMedia.  I tried with several different packages to get the RS-232
> > interface to work, and couldn't get any results.  But it works like a
> > charm with the Windows software they include, of course.
> >
> > The ADI SmartMedia/PCMCIA card I bought doesn't seem to be recognized
> > at all (the computer doesn't even realize it's been plugged in).
> > Should I just take it back for a refund?  What other brands are there
> > that you would recommend instead?  Or is there something else I can
> > try to make this one work?
>
> I am not sure if I have the same smartmedia pcmcia adaptor as you. But
> the one I have works beautifully, I insert the pcmcia card, then the
> smartmedia card. Hear the two beeps (you get no beep until the smarmedia
> card is inserted) then mount the card to some mountpoint. It appears as
> an IDE interface to a dos formatted partition.
>  One wierdness though, twice I have somehow destroyed the smartmedia
> such that it no longer is formatted or registers as a proper block
> device. I have no idea why, and it makes me somewhat nervouse. But other
> than that minor (?) issue, all is well.
>  Anyone else have this problem with smartmedia in general? or is it just
> me?

Insert the PCMCIA card without a SmartMedia card in it?  I hadn't
thought of that.  I have been inserting the card with SmartMedia
already in it.

Another thing that may be an issue is that my SmartMedia card came
pre-formatted from Olympus.  Do I need to reformat it, to make it
work?  How can I reformat it if the computer doesn't even notice that
it's there?  I saw instructions on the web somewhere that involved
running a format command using /dev/mem0a0 or something like that, but
there is no such device in my /dev and MAKEDEV doesn't know how to do
it.  Maybe it's called something else under Debian?

I'm kind of new to the whole PCMCIA thing.  I know the PCMCIA port
works, because I have a 3COM ethernet/modem card which works
perfectly.

If it matters, I'm running kernel version 2.2.18pre1, custom
compilation (and corresponding custom pcmcia-cs package), with Debian
"stable".

--Bill.

--
William R Ward        hermit@bayview.com      http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."-Groucho Marx